Swetha Nair is a performer and Researcher in the field of Classical Dance – Mohiniyattam from the younger generation from Kerala. Started her training in classical dance from the very young age, later specialized in Mohiniyattam under the eminent Guru and Performer Smt. Kalamandalam Leelamma. She is a Graded Artist of Doordarshan Kendra Thiruvananthapuram in Mohiniyattam has also done additional training under the Gurus Smt. Kalamandalam Sugandhi, Nirmala Paniker, Kalamandalam Hymavathy & Smt. Sreedevi Rajan.
Swetha is a lecturer in Mass Communication and Journalism, and continuing her research in Cultural studies, Folklore, Aesthetics, Media, and Communication. Her present research is on “Aesthetics and Communication” – a multidisciplinary topic relating classical dance Mohiniyattam and the Modern Broadcast Media under the faculty of Fine Arts – Mahatma Gandhi University.
● Present occupation as Part-Time lecturer in the Department of Journalism, Besant Women’s College, Mangalore.
● Freelance Columnist in dailies and weeklies in Malayalam (Mathrubhoomi Varanthappathippu, Samayam Masika, Janayugam, Nava Malayali) (Writings: http://blog.kaishiki.com )
● Worked as Compeer in Doordarshan Kendra Thrissur, from 2008 to 2015
● Worked as Programme assistant in Doordarshan Kendra, Thrissur from 2011 to 2014
● Coordinated State level arts and Dance festival in collaboration with Doordarshan Kendra, Kerala.
● Worked as Casual Announcer/ Live Broadcaster in All India Radio, Thrissur from 2010 to 2014 (Audition Passed)
As a Researcher and Media Person
PROJECTS AND PRODUCTIONS
● Interviewed Experts and Scholars from the field of Art, Theatre, Dance, Folklore and Literature for the show Chaayakkoottu which had a high viewership in Doordarshan Kendra Thiruvananthapuram.
● Assisted in production and anchored: Mohiniyattathinte lokam- special cultural programme related to Cultural History and Art forms of Kerala.
● Assisted in production and anchored: Gandhidarshan- Gandhi ideology conveying
programmes, participating school and college students.
● Agriculture News Reader and Researcher in DD Agriculture Special Programmes for Narrowcasting
● Choreographer and Dubbing person for the Theatre production Aa Manushyan Nee Thanne, story by famous Malayalam writer C.J Thomas, directed by Theatre expert Dr.Chunkath Thomas in collaboration with Doordarshan and Catholic Archdiocese, Thrissur.
● Directed and Choreographed Vaishnavageetham a special dance production based on the life and ideology of Eleven Indian Thinkers and Saints for the occasion of state-level Mahathma Cultural Festival as a tribute to Mahatma Gandhi.
SEMINARS & PRESENTATION
● MCJ Dissertation project on ‘Impact of Classical Dance performances telecasted through Television with that of live stage shows- a comparative study ’.
● Seminar on Woman in Arts- “Kalayile sthree- Sankalpavum Yadarthyavum”, conducted by Youth Welfare Board, Government of Kerala.
● Feature series on ‘Tradition and Innovations ’ study based on the history and innovations in eight South Indian Classical art forms of last 50 year’s for the annual Souvenir Keleeravam publishing by International Koodiyattam and Kathakali Festival team from UAE.
● Talk and Demonstration on Dance as a medium of Communication, District level students camp at National Heritage Centre Thrissur, conducted by ATMA foundation Thrissur.
● Introductory talk in the state-level seminar on ‘Communication aspect of Natyasastra ’ conducted by the Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, St.Joseph’s college Irinjalakkuda.
● Three days Moiniyattam workshop for dance students in Sourabha Kala Kshethra Mangalore, as a part of disseminating Mohiniyattam in the coastal city of Karnataka.
As an Artiste
Participated in Innovative Projects in Dance
● ‘Paanayattam’ (Christian traditional presentation based on Puthan Paana- an ancient text in Malayalam written by Johann Ernst)
● Mohiniyattam Concert in Sopanam style.
● Visualisation of several poems in Mohiniyattam style.
● National Integration Dance production in Mohiniyattam style based on Gandhian
● Personal choreographies in Mohiniyattam as thematic pieces and traditional repertoire. (Recent works: Kurooramma, Yudhanantharam, Vaishnavageetham.)
● ‘Bharatholsavam’ Organised by Bharatham Cultural Society Thrissur.
● ‘Nalanda Nrithyolsava’- National Dance fest by Nalanda University Mumbai.
● ‘Sense Beyond’- A dance Drama Production by Sree Madhurai Muraleedharan at
Chennai (Choreography and Performance of Mohiniyattam)
● Assisted Guru for Performance and Workshops organised by SPIC MACAY.
● Dance Fest in Connection with Guruvayoor Temple Ekadashi, Guruvayur.
● Monsoon Dance and Music Fest – Thrissur conducted by Navaneetham Cultural Trust.
● ‘Prathivaara Mohiniyatta Paripaadi’ conducted by Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Academy.
● Represented Kerala dance form- Mohiniyattam before the officials from Indian
Parliament, on the occasion of the National meet held by Hindi Prachar Sabha at Lulu Convention centre.
● Mahatma Cultural Fest Conducted by Doordarshan Kendra Thrissur.
● Annual Cultural fest conducted by All Kerala Gazetted Officers Union of Thrissur
● Demonstration of Mohiniyattam for Residential students camp conducted by ATMA Foundation, at National Heritage Centre, Thrissur.
● Demonstrated and performed Mohiniyattam at Dance workshop series organised by Sourabha Sangeetha Nrithya Kala Parishath, Mangalore.
● Dancefest conducted by Natana Kala Kuteera, Mysore.
● PhD – Pursuing (Thesis on “Aesthetics and Communication”) – Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala.
● MCJ (Master of Communication and Journalism ) – Calicut University, Kerala – (2012)
● B. Sc (Botany) – Calicut University, Kerala – (2010)
● BFA (Batchelor of Fine Arts, Bharathanatyam) – Bharathidasan University, Tamil Nadu – (2010)
Date of Birth: 12-11-1989
Marital Status/ Children: Married / One Daughter
Linguistic Abilities: English, Malayalam ( to Read, write and speak), Tamil and Kannada(to speak).
Hobbies & Interests: Reading, Classical Traditional Arts, Cultural studies, Films and Documentaries, Travelling & Photography.